Client: Community College
Location: Southeast USA
Issue: Develop a comprehensive sustainability plan. This work followed the Baseline Assessment for Sustainable Environments™. The project lasted four months.
The work included: (1) An analysis of environmental sustainability plans. We will review any existing plans (as indicated in BASE™) and provide a recommendation for completing non-existing plans; (2) Focus on several areas within BASE™ other than the plans:
- Education Analysis
- Operations Analysis (especially recycling; new construction, renovations, and commercial interiors; building operations and maintenance; energy and climate; Greenhouse Gas Analysis; and environmental preferable purchasing)
- Framework for GHG inventory scope and data collection process – The data framework prescribed as a result of this project will establish standardized data collection procedures and management strategies for the GHG emissions inventory to facilitate future updates. A guideline will be developed to ensure that Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions are quantified in accordance with The Climate Registry’s General Reporting Protocol. [Note that The Climate Registry is a nonprofit organization founded by its participating states, provinces, and territories. The Climate Registry’s reporting program is the most prolific voluntary GHG reporting program in North America]
- User-friendly format for future inventories – An Excel spreadsheet template will be designed to guide user entry of the data required to calculate GHG emissions from Scope 1 and Scope 2 sources in future years.
- Summary Report – A report will be developed for the 2010 inventory including written descriptions of the emission inventory scope, data collection procedures, and emission calculation methodologies. The report will also include an itemized list of stationary and mobile emissions sources operated by the college, total calculated emissions, and a framework for preparing GHG emission inventories for subsequent years.
The final report to the college administration included:
- Assessment of the college’s Sustainability Plans including how the plans rate according to BASE™ standards and an analysis of the quality of data in each report.
- Assessments of each area analyzed including how the area rates against BASE™ criteria and an analysis of the quality of data.
- Recommendations for improvement in each area and for developing a complete sustainability plan.
- An educational session to advise students, faculty, and staff on how to continue this work.